- Hem area of pants, shorts, or a tee shirt
- 3/4″ elastic for waist*
- Free bloomers and shorts pattern – Find it at the end of the post
3. Use a safety pin to insert the elastic into the hem.
4. Do not pull the elastic all the way through. Pull it until the end lines up with the end of the fabric.
5. Tack with a straight stitch.
6. Pull the elastic through to the other side and tack end.
Both options: 7. With right sides together pin and sew both curved sides of the bloomers. For knit fabric sew with a zigzag and for woven fabric sew with a straight stitch.
8. With right sides together sew the inseam together. It’s a short seam. Sew through the elastic ends.
9. From the outside of the fabric, sew the seam allowance towards the back.
10. Cut 3/4″ elastic 14″-18″ depending on the measurement of your baby. Sew the elastic ends together overlapping about 1/2″.
11. Divide elastic into four equal parts. Divide the waist of the shorts/bloomers into four equal parts. Match up the four pins with the elastic on the inside.
12. Sew with a zigzag stitching onto the elastic attaching it to the shorts/bloomers. Fold the elastic and fabric over encasing the elastic inside the fabric. Sew with a zigzag stitch from the front about 3/4″ from the edge.
The bloomers are adorable, but the shorts are even quicker. I love reusing hems; it makes sewing SO fast!
Share any upcycle inspired projects for your children with the hashtag #upcycledkid!
Get the free baby shorts sewing pattern!