A couple of weeks ago I ordered some custom collar stays for my husband for our anniversary from Truly Kustom. I was worried it wouldn’t arrive in time, but in came so quickly! I was really impressed with the speed, quality (they have gone through the was a couple of times with no problems!), and customer service.
For my birthday I also bought the Pleated Pencil Skirt pattern. I’ve been eyeing it, and I need a perfect pencil skirt pattern. After one make I do love it. I didn’t have time to make a muslin, so I had some fitting issues to deal with. This first one isn’t quite perfect, but now I know what to do to the paper pattern to make it perfect. I shaved of some of the hip circumference, will need to shorten the back waist length, and need to take in the top of the waistband. It’s good to know how to stitch in the ditch for a smooth and flat waistband. I also need to make the pleat deeper so that I have more room to move. I used fabric from Miss Matatabi that I won from a giveaway earlier this year. It’s gorgeous fabric, and I’m sad to say it’s not available anymore.
I got to review the dainty triangle necklace in gold, and I love it. I haven’t really bought myself jewelry in years so something new and simple was so refreshing. It’s high quality, my daughter has yanked on it already, and the perfect paired with my triangle pencil skirt. I don’t often recommend shops, but I do recommend this one. It would be a great gift for Christmas especially for those people who are hard to shop for!
If you ever break a zipper here’s how to fix a zipper if the pull came off. This sewing trick works for invisible zippers, separating zippers, and regular zippers.
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!