Here are the kids in their full costumes!
They are both so happy with their costumes and that makes me happy. I just want them to be happy.
For Batman I made a bunch of different pieces. I used the Bimaa sweater sewing pattern for the top and used the hood. I made a size 4 with size 5 width. I didn’t want it to be too tight since the fabric didn’t have a lot of stretch and the muscles would take away stretch also. I added muscles to the chest and upper arms (using the muscle suit tutorial from Sew a Straight Line), a vinyl batman symbol to the chest, arm gauntlets, and batman ears to the hood. I upcycled a black long sleeve tee that I thrifted. (These are the best tips for sewing and saving money!) Then I made a simple yellow belt with a pocket. I had a bunch of yellow jersey from my stash that I interfaced before using. Then I made some black sweatshirt fleece Hudson Pants which Henry can wear as regular pants after Halloween. I made a size 2 width with a size 4 length. I only altered them by sewing the pockets to the front of the pants. The black mask is a felt mask I made for a Christmas gift last year. He only wears it sometimes which I knew would happen. The cape is a thrifted gift from our neighbors. (I’m really glad I didn’t have to make a cape for him!)
Claire’s was a very easy costume. She wore her black leggings which I made last spring. Then I made a black jersey Bimaa sweater with the cowl neck. This jersey had tons of stretch so I made a 12-18 mos size. The tail is just black fabric sewn and stuffed and then sewn onto black elastic. The cat hat is one I made last spring. I’m glad it fits her so well, so I didn’t have to make something else. The tie really keeps it on her head; she takes hoods off immediately. I love how her hair peeks out the back. I did a makeup nose and whiskers which is probably her favorite part. (She is always trying to get into my makeup.)