I mashed the two patterns the Cara maternity tshirt pattern and the Erin maternity skirt pattern together. It wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be, and it came together really easily. The only changes I made were to add 2″ of length to the body and 1″ to the sleeves. I also added a neckband because that’s my preferred method of finishing knit necklines.
I don’t actually know what kind of fabric this is. It’s a jersey knit with cotton and spandex and maybe something else. I got some leftovers from a warehouse and they used it to make yoga shirts so it’s flexibility and returnability is amazing. It really is an awesome and comfortable fabric. It’s a black and charcoal heathered color.
I also built in some simple shapewear to the dress since my fabric was on the thinner side. For both the front and the back I cut extra pieces that went from the empire line to just under my hips. I didn’t finish the edges and just sewed them into the dress as if they were combined with the dress piece. To prevent the fabric from rolling I hand sewed a catchstitch (a stretch handstitch) on each unfinished edge. (I really tried getting a picture of the handstitch, but it blends in so well even on the inside.)
This is one of my most favorite maternity makes and maybe even one of my favorite makes for myself ever. It’s flattering, comfortable, basic, and versatile.