After going to a bridal shower the other day and seeing that everyone was wearing something with some kind of ruffles, frills, or gathers I knew it was time to make something. I’ve seen plenty of these cute shirts around, and I even bought one the other day. I should’ve just made one. Here’s a tutorial!
Strips of knit fabric
1. Get a shirt you want to sew on. I had matching knit fabric and cute contrasting knit fabric. It’s important the fabric is knit because it won’t fray. I cut strips that were around 1/4″ to 1/2″. It doesn’t have to be perfect because you won’t see it after it’s sewn. I pinned one strip in a swirly (is that the right word?) like this. I tucked each end under at the beginning and at the end. 2. Sew around in a continual circle. Take the pins out as you go. This part is kind of tricky, but with patience you can do it. I’m one of the most impatient people when something is tedious, but I did it! Here’s the first finished flower. 3. I then added more flowers using the same technique. I also added some ribbon bows randomly. I think it’s quite cute, and I’m really excited to wear it!
Learn How to Sew Your Own Clothes
- If you want to learn how to sew your own clothing you need to start somewhere. These are the Things I Wish I Could Tell Myself Before I Started Sewing. They will help any beginner who wants to learn how to sew.
- Then you can read some Tips to Start Sewing Clothing.
- Once you start you’ll get better at using a sewing machine, but you’ll make clothing that you might not wear or love. I made every mistake and this is How to Sew Clothing You’ll Love. (Avoid my mistakes!)
- As you get better and better you’ll need to learn How to Choose Fabric for Sewing Clothes and the Best Fabrics for Sewing Clothing. I recommend fabrics that I love, but you’ll find the fabric you love the best.
- You can use paper patterns which are great to buy on sale or you can use PDF patterns which are great for instant gratification. There are lots of Different Ways to Assemble PDF Patterns so you need to find what works for you.
- Lastly, when you are sewing your own clothing and you are drawn to lots of different printed fabric, you need to learn How to Make a Versatile Handmade Wardrobe + Free Printable so that all the items in your wardrobe can coordinate with another item of clothing and be worn!