1. Cut out the patterns.
2. Pin and sew the cut-out piece to the solid piece on the outside edge.
3. Sew straight lines down the center of the cut-outs to stabilize them.
4. I decided to cut out a thick vinyl piece to go right on top of the bottom piece. Trim the edges to match.
5. Take the two top pieces and sew them together around the edges. Pin if you’d like.
8. Fold the flaps in towards the foot and sew with a zigzag around the foot shape.
It should look like this.
9. Trim off the edges the extend over the foot shape.
10. Fold the front and back flap over 1/2″ and sew.
11. Cut two slits in the front to slide the side flaps through.
I pinned my flaps so I could try it on Henry. I then hand-sewed the flaps together.
12. Measure so elastic that fits around your child’s ankle. Slide it through the front and the back and sew it together. Hide the joining in one of the flaps.
That’s it! Now you have some cute, “free” sandals for the summer!