I have really, really loved making boy clothing. Everytime I make something new or am inspired by something, I am grateful I have a boy and get to experiment with his clothing. Well, I was first inspired by this shirt romper. I thought I would make it from scratch, but I knew I could easily make something similar by using parts of a man’s button up shirt. Today I have a pattern and tutorial to share!
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
If you use a lightweight shirt, it’s perfect for the hot summer months, and the front buttons or snaps are functional because you use the original shirt front button placket.
Supplies
Lightweight man’s button up shirt
snaps or buttons or other closure

GET THE FREE PATTERN!

1. With right sides together, sew center back seam and side seams of the body pieces at 1/4″. Finish edges.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
2. Take the collar pieces and with right sides together sew 1/4″ on all edges except the neck edge.
3. Trim the corns and turn right side out.
4. Poke out corners (I’m lazy and just use the tip of my scissors.)
5. Edgestitch around the sewn edge at 1/8″.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
6. Take yoke pieces and sew center back seam at 1/4″.
7. Pin one yoke to the collar matching the center backs.
8. Let the he yoke should extend past the finished collar edge 1/2″.
9. Pin from the outer edges to the inside so if there is any excess, it will all be in the center. (The excess will be different depending if the yoke is cut on the bias.)
10. Resew center back seam of the yoke taking out the excess fabric.
11. Trim seam allowances of the center back yoke.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
12. Take in the same amount you took in on the other yoke piece.
13. Flip collar over and pin the other yoke to the collar’s other side.
14. Pin so all three layers are together.
15. Sew straight across at 1/4″.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
16. To finish the front edges of the yoke, turn inside out and sew across the edge at 1/4″. Don’t catch the collar underneath.
17. Trim corners and turn right side out.
* I wanted my yoke to extend out a little bit, that’s why I sewed mine at 1/4″. If you don’t want yours to extend then sew at 1/2″ or 3/4″.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
18. When turned right side out, pin the two yoke layers together. There will be three straight edges, the two fronts and the back.
19. With right sides together sew each front straight edge to the top front of the body pieces at 1/4″. Sew the back straight edge to the top of the top of the back body piece at 1/4″. Finish edges.
20. Topstitch the seam allowances up towards to collar so it copies a man’s shirt yoke.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
21. With right sides together sew sleeve seam at 1/4″. Finish edges.
22. With right sides together sew sleeve to armholes of the body piece at 1/4″. Finish edges.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
23. On back body piece, fold the back inseam at 3/4″ and sew down at 5/8″.
24. Line up the inseam facing on the front of the body piece at the inseam. Pin the button placket together at the bottom.
25. With right sides together, sew the inseam at 1/4″. Clip the curve.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
26. Either fold under the edge 1/4″ or serge edge.
27. Pin down and topstitch at 5/8″ to front.
28. Hem up each leg 1″.
29. Add snaps, buttons or other closures to the front inseam.
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper
Put it on your baby and enjoy the cuteness!
FREE PATTERN: Man's Shirt Baby Romper

Special thanks to my photographer friend for sharing her skills!

Related Posts

Author: Heather Handmade

I'm a seamstress and mother. I sew, blog, thrift, upcycle, design fabric, and teach sewing classes. I'm also a self-proclaimed fabric fondler.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 thoughts on “FREE PATTERN: Man’s Shirt Baby Romper

1. Thanks for sharing, this is so great! Do you happen to have larger versions of the pictures? They don't get bigger when I click them and I'm struggling a bit on the yoke/collar piece.

Posted on April 26, 2014 at 3:44 am
  2. Hi! Thank you so much for such a great tutorial and pattern. Is there any way to size it up for a size 3T? What if I didn't actually use a Men's shirt and used fabric instead so that size of the original shirt wouldn't be a problem?

-Hallie

Posted on March 18, 2014 at 9:40 pm
    1. You would just need to add width and height to all the body pieces. You would be fine using regular fabric as long as you added hem allowance and button placket allowance on the front.

Posted on March 21, 2014 at 4:05 pm
  3. Heather, I apologize for my previous comment. It seems my printing issue may have been browser related. I tried it in chrome and IE and adjusted some of the page set-up settings. I was able to print something that looks more correct, so I'll try it and hope the end result isn't doll-sized. I'm really excited for this as I have SO many old dress shirts I don't know what to do with. Thanks again.

Posted on March 14, 2014 at 12:23 am
  4. This is exactly what I was looking for! When I click on the pattern link, it opens in another webpage tab. When I tried to print at no scale so it wouldn't shrink the images, it cut off some of the pattern pieces and didn't seem to print correctly. Any suggestions as to how to print? I typically use firefox, but I also have chrome or Internet Explorer I could use. Also, do you have any pattern measurement reference so I can be sure it printed correctly? I'd love to try this!

Posted on March 13, 2014 at 9:24 pm
  5. I would love to print and use the pattern. However, when I click on the link, it opens in a webpage and doesn't seem to print the entire pattern pieces. I selected no scale so it wouldn't shrink the pieces. Any suggestions? Also, do you have a scale reference so I can make sure it prints the correct size? Thanks!

Posted on March 13, 2014 at 9:07 pm
  6. When I print the pattern, I can't make sense of how Body Back A and Body Back B line up…they are different sizes and the sides don't match up no matter which way I turn them. Can you post a photo of what the back pattern pieces should look like when joined?

Posted on September 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    1. The center back of Back A and the center back of Back B should line up. Body B should be rotated one turn to the left. If you look at the picture for step #1 you can see how the back is straight and then curves way out to the right.
      Does that help?

Posted on September 9, 2013 at 12:18 am
    2. I tried doing what you said, but even if you rotate Body B, there are no 2 sides of the same length. Something is off.

Posted on February 7, 2014 at 7:36 pm
    3. Did you line up the center backs?

Posted on February 11, 2014 at 2:36 am
  7. soo cute! I'll have to wait til my nephew gets a little bigger!

Posted on June 21, 2013 at 1:38 am
  8. any chance you have larger sizes to share? 😀 i just went to make one for my son but didn't notice the size until i had printed it off. he's in 12 or 18 mos clothes and i only have one shirt to try it with so i don't want to mess it up by trying to make it bigger and making something really wonky!

Posted on June 10, 2013 at 3:03 am
  9. This is so cute – and practical. I can't wait to try it. And, your little man model is also so happy and delightful too. =) Cute overload =)

Posted on January 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm
  10. Cute! I will feature this on 9-8-12 for my readers!
    seemesew.blogspot.com

Posted on September 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm
  11. I saw this on Refashion Co-op, and it is amazing! I love it!

Posted on August 30, 2012 at 4:24 am
  12. This is so great! I saw it on Refashion Co-op! Thanks for sharing this!

Posted on August 29, 2012 at 10:08 am
  13. Great tutorial! I have to make one of these for my little man, he's in desperate need of some cute outfits.

Posted on August 28, 2012 at 7:34 pm